SVP Accounting Policy - M&A
Salary $135000 - $175000 per year + Strong
Location New York
Consultant Christopher Stringer
Date posted July 13, 2017
My Client a Global Investment Bank is looking for someone to join their Accounting Policy team focusing on M&A at the SVP level. The position requires someone with a track record of successfully working within banking in an advisory capacity, ideally within Accounting policy.
It is integral that this person is able to understand, interpret and explain Accounting policy and procedures to other areas of the business in a clear and concise way whilst building and Maintaining strong working relationships with internal stake holders.
The whole policy group is an integral part of finance’s risk management process. The role will essentially be operating as an in house consultancy unit providing technical advice on accountancy matters to finance and a number of other areas of the business.
The roles core responsibilities and accountabilities are:
- Provide support to business accounting advisory groups on accounting for new and unusual products and transactions, primarily related to M&A activity where the company is a party to the transaction.
- Identify accounting policy issues (e.g., as it related to business combinations, goodwill and long-lived asset impairment, consolidation, etc.), researching technical accounting literature, and advise internal clients on appropriate accounting guidance.
- Prepare and review technical memos document research, analysis, and resolution of significant accounting issues.
- Follow development of relevant US GAAP accounting standard setting at the Financial Accounting Stand interpretations from Big 4 accounting firms effecting the company
- Identify, analyze, and provide guidance to accounting policy teammates, controllers, and other members of senior management.
- Assist implementation efforts for new accounting standards, primarily US GAAP but including IFRS.
- Assist in developing disclosures for new standards in the businesses financial statements.
- Assist in establishing, updating, and reviewing the businesses Accounting Policy Manual on an ad hoc and periodic basis to reflect changes in guidance and practice. - Help to identify and implement ad hoc and ongoing process improvements.
- Key skills and background
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in accounting, finance or similarly quantitative degree required.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial instruments under US GAAP and strong working knowledge of financial markets required,
- Minimum 5 years if relevant work experience in a technical accounting/accounting policy background.
- Audit experience with a national CPA firm or accounting policy experience in another financial institutions a plus.
- FASB experience a big plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong drafting skills necessary
- Track record of successful process improvements
- Ability to work on long term projects not allowing this to affect the wider role.