VP Commodities Finance Analyst
Salary $100000 - $130000 per year + Bonus
Location New York
Consultant Christopher Stringer
Date posted May 9, 2017
My Client, a Global Investment Bank, is looking for a VP in their Commodities Financial Analysis team which also has a number of Product Control responsibilities. This would be an ideal role for an AVP looking to make the step up to VP or for a recently promoted VP looking to develop their career within an environment committed to the progression and development of high achieving employees.
As a VP you will be expected to lead and inspire team members, collaborate with the desk and other business partners on an ongoing and daily basis, impose structure on complex issues and deliver solutions in line with the long term strategic goals of the bank.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Daily P&L & Balance Sheet Reporting & Oversight
- Production and/or review of official daily P&L explain and its provision for VaR backtesting.
- Approval of daily sub-ledger P&L generated by Middle Office for reporting into Greensheets.
- Responsibility for daily management adjustments to P&L
- Daily P&L reporting to local and regional management.
- Oversight of trader estimate to official T+1 P&L variances as business unit level.
- Preparation of daily P&L commentary and substantiation to market events.
- Review of material new deals.
- Review and approval of changes to valuation adjustments & reserves.
- Review of changes to daily balance sheet & substantiation to transactional activity.
- Core Financial Oversight Functions
- Price verification (daily, weekly, monthly).
- Validation of appropriate application and use of models for books & records.
- Monthly & quarterly revenue commentary.
- Maintaining/updating valuation adjustment & reserve policies.
- Balance sheet analysis (capital, liquidity, exposures etc) including inventory aging and its reporting.
- Determining and implementing appropriate accounting policies & procedures (with Accounting Policy).
- Managing key accounting, legal entity, regulatory and P&L issues with the business.
- Month end close, including Financial Disclosures and calculation and recording of netting entries
- Exercise of control oversight on behalf of the business.
- Participation in the New Product Review and Appropriation Request processes: modeling structures and process scenarios, review, and control.
- Contributing to Governance process, operational error reporting and support of other internal control process, including SOX.
- Provision of financial expertise in the design, build, testing, and implementation of new Technology Platforms and Systems.
- Planning & Reporting
- Act as key member and advisor to Line of Business Senior Management team, providing decision support analysis and advice on the optimisation of business activities with regards to accounting rules, regulatory issues and legal entity structures.
- Development and analysis of key performance metrics
- Participation in the formulation of business strategy; plans; budgets; and forecasts
Required skills and background
- Commodities Product Control Experience or Strong commodities product knowledge from finance/accounting background
- Strong understanding of Balance Sheet
- Commodities product knowledge
- Bachelor Degree (Accounting/Finance degree preferred)
- 3-7 years financial industry/banking experience
- Strong financial analytics experience
- Advanced experience/skills with Excel and complex spreadsheets
- Candidate must be able to work both independently and as team member
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities (Excel/Essbase)
- MBA, CPA, CFA, or other advanced certification
- Experience with Bloomberg, or Hyperion/Essbase/SAP
- Insight/Essbase experience
- Control focused, analytical, team oriented, comfortable with complex products