Financial Controller - Americas
Salary $85000 - $90000 per year + bonus
Location New York
Consultant Neil Wittensleger
Date posted June 12, 20187 Times Square New York NY 10036 Robert Walters United States of America
The Financial Controller will be the head of Accounting for the Americas. Seeking an ambitious candidate who wants to work in a hands on role and create the function from ground up. With a large emphasis on work-life balance, this company has a great environment to work in.
You will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Day to day, the candidate will work closely with the acting MD and also the staff accountant (who will assist with basic accounting duties).
- The candidate will report to the MD in the US, and to The Global Finance Director in HQ - London
- Managing cash flow and updating the cash flow forecast.
- Ensure that future cash flows are programmed and planned for well in advance.
- Understanding and forecasting the firm’s pipeline of work.
- Production of monthly management accounts with commentary. The bookkeeping function is managed from the UK at the moment. Given the volume of transactions (ie not high), and the need to retain a comparable quality of input around the group, the bookkeeping for all three offices is done from the UK.
- Perform the monthly accounting adjustments like bank recs, accruals and prepayments before finalizing the monthly pack.
- Suggest and help execute improvements in the way the office is run.
- Be the internal finance point of contact in the NY office, whether it’s to explain project costing, or to negotiate vendor contract's.
- Updating the annual cost budget and calculating employee cost rates.
- Overseeing AP and AR functions. Close contact with project directors to understand billing milestones. Credit control.
- Being a point of contact on the group-wide project information management solution (Deltek PIM), and reporting project performance from it. PIM also has a finance module we use to interface with Sage.
- Liaison with external tax advisers during their year-end procedures.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Degree in Finance or Accounting or related field
- 9+ years experience in a similar role
- Good technical financial accounting knowledge; preferred experience of independently managing the finance function in a small to medium sized business.
- Experience in architecture preferred, or at least in a related industry.
- Engaging and confident personality, to help drive change.
- Excellent communication skills, as the candidate will constantly be liaising with people in different departments to understand their needs.