Head of Business Support
Consultant Christopher Stringer
Date posted July 13, 2017
My Client, a leading global asset management firm is looking for a Head of Business support to be based in their head office near Washington DC. The role is excellent for someone with a broad understanding of finance, FP&A and a background in general accounting. This individual must come from a financial services background.
In this role, you will take ownership and responsibility for the financial aspects of several of the businesses departments and business units, by leading a team of finance professionals who provide business support, advisory services and operational accounting services to various parts of the organization, including sales, marketing, compliance/legal, technology, and shared services. You will be responsible for directing the team on the production of business-specific management reports, analytics, multi-year budget and mid-year forecast and monthly projection processes, as well as ad-hoc requests as appropriate.
It is important that this individual is able to build and maintain strong working relationships with internal stakeholders. The successful applicant will liaise with and advise senior managers and functional heads on the financial data, in support of continued business growth. The position requires you to think creatively, take initiative, and listen and respond to feedback from the business regarding financial data. It also requires strong people and process management skills, including performance coaching, process analysis and creation, application of Lean Management tools for continuous improvement. A track record of successfully identifying and implementing process improvements is important.
Core role and responsibilities
- Partnering with business units in decision making and problem solving.
- Building relationships across the organization, including sales, marketing, compliance/legal, technology, and shared services.
- Leading or attending meetings with various department heads/senior management to review and discuss performance, future business initiatives, and their ongoing reporting requirements
- Directing the production of regular management information (including Profit & Loss statements) for various functional and regional business heads with variance analysis comparing actuals against budget (or forecast/projection, as appropriate) with supporting relevant commentary.
- Coordinating with the Head of Budgeting and Planning to ensure the completion of the annual budget process (expenses and headcount), as well as the mid-year forecast and monthly projection
- Complete other ad-hoc requests and support the business in their decision making
- Continuously evaluate processes and procedures to identify ways to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Oversee the day-to-day responsibilities of a team of finance professionals
- Effectively communicate changes in operational activities to other corporate Finance colleagues, and communicate changes in corporate policies to department and business unit heads
- Be an active and engaged member of the Finance Management Team
- Provide development opportunities to staff, including ongoing coaching and career development
Key skills and experience
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or similar subject
- MBA a plus
- 10+ years relevant finance experience
- Previous experience working within asset management
- Must be analytical with strong attention to detail, deliver work to a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrates commercial awareness by understanding client base and interpreting needs into Finance actions
- Prioritize projects and deliverables to meet client needs while managing expectations
- Strong Excel skills are essential
- Experience with Workday and HFM are preferable
- Able to lead, manage and motivate a team,
- Demonstrates professional approach to work by taking ownership and being accountable
- Able to adapt communication method and style to suit audience and message
- Demonstrates the ability to identify and anticipate a problem, make recommendations, gain agreement with key stakeholders, and execute on a solution, using sound commercial insight and judgement