Bay Area employment trends in 2018
Employment trends in the San Francisco Bay Area 2018
Every year, we survey as many candidates as possible in order to gain as much insight as we can about what it's like to work in the San Francisco Bay Area right now. This year we got more responses than ever – over 500 – giving us a unique insight about the job market today. We're excited to present the results here — starting with the top trends and insights that stood out as particularly significant. We hope you find it interesting and informative, and please get in touch should you want to discuss the findings in more detail.
Working from home is becoming even more prevalent.
- 42% work from home at least 1 day a week
- Only 1/3 of professionals are unable to work from home.
- Only 1% of professionals would consider commuting over 90 minutes one-way (and only 10% over 60 minutes.)
Most employees are expecting pay raises and bonuses in 2018.
- 70% received a pay rise in 2017
- 60% received a bonus in 2017
- 83% expect to receive a salary increase in 2018
- 70% expect to receive a bonus in 2018
The strong job market is encouraging employees to consider more frequent and voluntary job movement.
- 47% feel very confident about the job market
- 30% of professionals are already looking for a new job
- 90% of professionals would interview for a job when they are not actively looking for a job
Employees’ main motivators are compensation and career progression.
- 41% of professionals would remain in their role if offered a salary increase
- 44% of professionals would change jobs for a career progression