SEO professionals improve a company’s ranking on search engines by understanding which search engines are preferred by the target audience, how the preferred search engines work, what the target audience is searching for and the actual key search words they are typing into the search engine.
"The role of an SEO specialist can involve developing and implementing strategies, data analysis, conversion optimization, content optimization, copywriting and link building." Nick Louca, Associate Director.
What skills do I need to become an SEO specialist?
- Service oriented - a large part of the role (particularly in an agency) is managing relationships
- Analytical - clients and internal stakeholders will require reporting and analysis on how the SEO strategy is progressing
- IT savvy - having a base understanding of content management systems (CMS), HTML coding and design software is necessary
- Ability to meet deadlines - the SEO strategy will have multiple goals and timeframes for when each goal will need to be reached
- Strong attention to detail - writing or sub editing content for the website is often part of the job
Which qualifications do I need to become an SEO specialist?
Although not always a prerequisite, a tertiary education in general marketing, digital marketing, and web or graphic design is highly desirable to become an SEO specialist. Many professionals do not start out in SEO but move across from a generalist marketing or web/graphic design role. On the job training will be provided by most companies and it’s important you have knowledge of diverse industries - unless you are working in-house your clients will be varied. For an SEO specialist, the most important element is ongoing training throughout your career.
The SEO industry is constantly changing as search engines evolve, new technologies emerge and the use of social media increases and diversifies. Industry blogs, news articles, conferences and training courses are ways to continue training in the industry.
The role of an SEO specialist can involve developing and implementing strategies, data analysis, conversion optimization, content optimization, copywriting and link building.
How much can I earn as an SEO specialist?
To find out how much an SEO specialist or marketing professionals can earn in the United States, download the US version of our Global Salary Survey or download the app for Apple or Android devices.
Start your sales and marketing job search today.
For more information, please contact:
Nick Louca, Vice President - Commerce (New York)
Simon Bromwell, Managing Director (San Francisco)
+1 415 549 2000