Tax Attorney- Strategic Transactions Group
Consultant Aleea Cherry
Date posted September 23, 20187 Times Square New York NY 10036 Robert Walters United States of America
The US Strategic Transactions Group (STG) forms part of Barclays Tax. STG’s objective is to utilize its execution and transaction-management capabilities in support of appropriate tax and associated capital management for the Barclays group in the US. STG has a mandate to execute cross-border and third party facing transactions involving tax risk. The group delivers value by complementing Tax’s mandate for effective tax rate management, consistent with Barclays' capital and return on equity targets. STG also supports Tax in ensuring the firm's activities are managed in line with our Tax Principles, and are subject to robust governance and review. Your Role & Responsibilities You would be part of a team of high performing professionals as part of the STG US product development team whose primary responsibility is to develop and restructure complex and challenging transactions comprising the US STG business and assist with the documentation and closing thereof. It is expected that the product development team would work on the ongoing development of trades from a tax, accounting and regulatory capital perspective, covering areas from structural reform and internal restructurings to client activity. Each team member must possess in depth knowledge of US tax, strong skills in accounting and regulatory requirements, the intellectual flexibility to quickly retool in a time of rapid change, a data-driven approach to problem solving, and strong communication skills.
Serve as point person for US tax matters in the development and execution of STG transactions
- Coordinate US tax analysis with external counsel to obtain timely, tailored, and cost-effective advice on transactions
- Engage technical functions to ensure that transactions under development achieve desired tax, accounting, and regulatory results
- Collaborate with STG colleagues and other relevant functions on execution and post-execution matters, including document review, bookings, deal modeling, and tax compliance
- Draft and present materials to internal governance bodies to obtain necessary approvals prior to execution of transactions
- Analyze changes in US tax law and their implications to STG transactions to assist in management-level decision making
- Serve as a general resource and sounding board to members of the team with respect to US tax and other technical matters
- Undergraduate Degree (in a Quantitative discipline: Math, Engineering, Economics).
- 3+ years relevant working experience in US tax-technical capacity in a transactional, structured finance team, within an investment bank, law firm or similar organization
You will be an effective negotiator with a good sense for practical business solutions to problems. You must exhibit a strong track record negotiating complex, strategic transactions and show a keen understanding and interest in Tax Law and Internal Structured Planning within Banks and/or the Financial Service Industry.
If you are a driven determined Attorney with the ability to execute in a complex matrixed environment and want to take the next step in your career, this is the role for you.
Apply today or call me Aleea Cherry on 212 704 9900.