Associate Labor & Employment Counsel
Location New York
Consultant Aleea Cherry
Date posted June 11, 20187 Times Square New York NY 10036 Robert Walters United States of America
An Employment & Labor Counsel position has become available at one of the fastest-growing department store retailers in the world. In North America, this company’s leading banners include Lord & Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue, Gilt, Saks OFF 5TH and Home Outfitters. Reporting to and working closely with to the Director, Senior Labor & Employment Counsel this role offers outstanding experience for an Attorney who has expertise in the Employment & Labor Law field.
About the Associate Counsel Role:
Under direction from the Director, Senior Labor & Employment Counsel, the Senior Manager, Associate Labor & Employment Counsel will work with legal matters primarily related to Human Resources, HR and Ethics Compliance, Labor Relations, Employee Relations, Compensation and Benefits matters. This position will provide preventive, proactive legal advice and solutions on a broad range of employment practice topics including, but not limited to, discrimination, harassment, performance, discipline and separations, leaves of absence and accommodations, recruiting, hiring, benefits, wage and hour, compensation, employment-related contracts, severance agreements, immigration, and labor relations issues. This position will represent the company before federal, state and local civil rights and governmental agencies and will be responsible for writing responses and position statements, responding to information requests, and attending fact-finding conferences.
- Assist in investigating complaints of unfair or inappropriate treatment of employees
- Provide preventive, proactive legal advice on a broad range of employment practice topics
- Prepare training materials and conduct training sessions regarding employment best practices.
- Compiles, reviews and processes expense invoices and summary spreadsheet on a weekly basis for all facilities projects
- Conduct legal research on various topics as directed, will be responsible for keeping abreast of new legal decisions and statutory developments and providing advice to clients regarding same
- Draft position statements and production responses to government agencies
- Respond to attorney letters and related correspondence
- Prepare training materials and conduct training regarding labor and employment best practices
- Assist the Director, Senior Labor & Employment Counsel with various complex and/or sensitive projects, as assigned
- 4 - 6 years of experience in labor and employment law. Previous experience in retail industry would be preferred
- Experience counseling clients and preparing responses to state and federal administrative charges
- Experience handling traditional labor issues and working with or in governmental agencies (federal or state) is preferred
- An understanding of immigration law experience is preferred
- Experience from Canada, Ireland, Germany and/or Japan would be an asset
- Juris Doctor required
- Must be a member in good standing of the bar.
This is an exciting opportunity for an Attorney wishing to pursue a stimulating career in the Retail industry with a focus on Employment & Labor law.
The successful candidate must have strong communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, coworkers, and colleagues. He/she must be able to present clear and practical legal advice; be comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and be able to adapt quickly to changing priorities. He/she must have strong analytical and problem solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness. He/she must be able to make reasoned decisions/ recommendations and provide sound legal advice while considering the operation and needs of the business operation. The successful candidate is a self-starter, a problem-solver and should be comfortable working in an ever changing environment
Apply today with your resume or call me Aleea Cherry on 212 704 9900.