Legal Project Manager
Consultant Eskor Edem
Date posted November 19, 20187 Times Square New York NY 10036 Robert Walters United States of America
Robert Walters is pleased to announce our partnership with a leading global law firm in the search for a legal project manager for their New York office. Our client provides legal counsel to many of the world’s leading corporations and financial institutions, governments and governmental organizations. The firm is committed to finding innovative and efficient legal solutions and service delivery methods for its clients.
Robert Walters is pleased to announce our partnership with a leading global law firm in the search for a legal project manager for their New York office. Our client provides legal counsel to many of the world’s leading corporations and financial institutions, governments and governmental organizations. The firm is committed to finding innovative and efficient legal solutions and service delivery methods for its clients. The primary objective of this position is to provide high quality legal project management support throughout a matter’s lifecycle to legal teams and also to assist those teams with client-facing project update communications as appropriate.
This role requires strong legal project management expertise and experience, and the interpersonal skills, flexibility and pragmatism required to tailor LPM techniques, tools and processes to meet the client’s and legal team’s engagement-specific needs. Candidates must have a track record of helping lawyers deliver client services on time and to budget, and the ability to challenge the status quo and streamline efforts of the engagement team. Legal project managers will also be called upon to help implement LPM best practices throughout the firm and support the development and delivery of LPM training.
- Guide legal teams through the LPM process including scoping, planning, budgeting, executing and controlling the work, cost and resources on a matter. Contribute to the discussions of engagement management strategy, goals and related deliverables.
- Skillfully adapt LPM tools and techniques to the circumstances so that it is a help, not a hindrance, to the client and legal team.
- Work with partners, legal staff and relevant business services personnel to create and monitor scope documents, staffing plans and budgets. Work with the firm’s Revenue Administration staff to develop appropriate pricing structures for matters. Also work with lawyers and staff to develop task codes and coordinate the implementation and utilization of those codes. Must be able to track and analyze actual engagement time and costs against budget, and help senior lawyers proactively address expected budget variances.
- Continuously identify improvements to the LPM processes and support the change management of implementing these LPM processes.
- Coordinate regular project team meetings in consultation with the partners and/or lead associate(s). Develop project plan, prepare notes and follow up on action items.
- Help identify and evaluate risks within each engagement and communicate appropriately to the partner.
- Plan and track timelines, milestones and dependencies.
- Help identify new working efficiencies where appropriate and coach team accordingly.
- Support the post-engagement review process. Research practice area processes through discussions with fee earners and identify potential areas of improvement.
- Suggest and create reports to improve transparency to both the legal team and, potentially to the client at the partner’s direction.
- Contribute to discussion about lessons learned and identify templates for future use. Help reflect this input in future engagement handling through improvements to training, tools and techniques.
- Train, coach and mentor attorneys and business services personnel on how to employ LPM on matters. Assist with formal training programs.
Education & Experience:
- A strong academic record, preferably of graduate level (JD or MBA preferred).
- Prior experience working with professional service firms (preferably law firms) or corporate legal departments.
- Change Management and implementation experience.
- M&A, Capital Markets, Project Finance or Financial Services experience is desirable.
- Formal legal project management qualification (e.g. PMP or equivalent) desirable.
- Familiarity with Lean/Six Sigma project/process principles.
- Understanding and exposure to Agile approaches is desirable.
- Experience using process mapping/planning techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in leading teams.
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving capabilities.